Mantis Tow Vehicle

• jonanscher
    Participant
    # 3 weeks, 5 days ago

Curious what folks are considering for their Mantis tow vehicle.

We are planning to go with the new Subaru Ascent, but a part of me is hesitating and considering going with a pickup that is more tow-oriented. I like some of the tow-specific features of some of the pickups out there.

• jonanscher
    Participant
    # 3 weeks, 4 days ago

I’ve also toyed with the idea of a hybrid SUV like the Highlander, but I’m worried about the low GCWR.

• Go2chad
    Participant
    # 3 weeks, 4 days ago

I am also considering a Highlander as a tow vehicle for the Mantis. I’m hoping that the 3,500 lbs capacity will be enough. I imagine the electronic breaking will help when slowing down but am concerned with putting a lot of stress on the v6 engine.

• jonanscher
    Participant
    # 3 weeks, 3 days ago

For what it’s worth a gal from Colorado just got her Mantis and towed it over a mountain pass in Colorado with her Highlander. She said it worked great (she stuck to speeds around 60–65), and that she got 20 mpg. That made me really tempted to consider a Highlander. We test drove one though, and it’s adaptive cruise control is so much more limited than that in the Subaru. We were pretty disappointed by that. Though we do really love our Prius, so it’s a hard call.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.