Brake Controller

• gsjack
    Participant
    # 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Hello, I’m new to the forum and also new to being a Cricket owner. As a matter of fact, my wife and I won’t pick up our new Cricket until the Minnesota winter is over. The dealer is currently storing it for us in Illinois. The question I have is with regard to a brake controller. My tow vehicle will be a BMW X3 with a factory tow package. The vehicle has the required 7 pin plug, but of course, no brake controller. BMW, though they state in the owner’s manual that a brake controller is required when towing over 1400 pounds, has no wiring harness available to easily connect one. At least that’s what my dealer says. I really don’t want either them or myself tapping into the car’s electrics without the proper connectors, so I found a “wireless” brake controller made by Tekonsha that mounts on the A-frame of the trailer, controlled by a remote contol device that runs on 12v power in the car. It seems like a good solution, but I’m wondering if anyone else is using one on a Cricket. Is there room on the Cricket A-frame for this controller? Here’s a link to the controller at e-Trailer.com: https://www.etrailer.com/p-90250.html?hhyear=2018&hhmake=BMW&hhmodel=X3
    Thanks!

• Roc
    Participant
    # 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Hi GS: We just picked up a Cricket and I installed this controller. I believe the same Tekonsha Prodigy RF, mostly because it did not require drilling and wiring our 2014 VW Touareg.

Just something to be aware is European vehicles such as yours and mine, because of the lower voltages related to our LED turnlights, require an additional adapter.

Here is the reply to my inquiry to etrailer expert:
    Expert Reply:
    Your 2014 VW Touareg has lamp-out sensors which can cause problems when trying to install the Prodigy RF # 90250. Using the Trailer Connector Adapter w/ Lamp-Out Sensor Bypass # 20142 should remedy the problem because it will increase the draw on the system which won’t result in an error being shown on your Touareg.

Here is a link to the adapter. I just installed it and it appears to be working fine.: https://www.etrailer.com/p-20142.html

I hope this helps, Roc.

• gsjack
    Participant
    # 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Thanks for your response, Roc. I did buy and install the Tekonsha Prodigy RF, too. I expected to have the same issue with a lamp sensor from what I read on the Q&A and reviews on the E-Trailer site, so I did purchase the adapter you referenced. It was over 300 miles from my home to the RV dealer, so I wanted to anticipate any problems. As it turned out, I didn’t need to use the adapter with my vehicle, 2018 BMW X3, which was a pleasant surprise. People on the TAXA Facebook forum were very helpful on their issue. There is a lot more activity there than on this forum. If you aren’t yet a member, you may find it helpful.

• Roc
    Participant
    # 1 month, 2 weeks ago

GS: Thanks! I will check out the FB page.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.